Thursday, April 25, 2013

Highschool Maths

     I don't know about you, but Maths is NOT my forte.  No sir, it isn't.  At the beginning of the year I ummed and ahhed as to whether or not to even homeschool the two big stay at home boys this year.  I actually got to the point where I said, "Nope, don't want to do it."  In the end hubby and I both agreed that they had to get a job.  Now yes, they did actually go and got a job each, BUT that job is only part time - at best, still at this point.  Soooooo, the long story short was that I still ended up having to homeschool them.  So for the first 12 weeks we've been using 'Understanding Year 9 & 10 Intermediate Maths'.  I dunno, not entirely happy with it.  Not me, not my sons.

     Fast forward to today - Ok, I can see this book is NOT working for you so I'll just go out to the carport and DIG up an OLD textbook that I have { I have a few }.  I bring it inside and discover that it has an awesome little CD sitting in the back, and on that little CD is a HEAP { over 300 skill sheet pages } and I think - YES, we can use those.  Sooooooo, we'll be jumping over to trying these out.  Please, please, please let this be the biggest math success they've had all highschool.   I'm tired of homeschooling out of my league.


Here's what my big boys will be doing over the next fortnight:
  1. Addition and Subtraction of Integers
  2. Multiplication and Division of Integers
  3. Adding and Subtracting Decimals
  4. Multiplying Decimals
  5. Dividing Decimals
  6. Simplifying Fractions
  7. Multiplying Decimals
  8. Simplifying Fractions
  9. Converting an Improper Fraction to a Mixed Number
  10. Converting a Mix Number into an Improper Fraction
  11. Adding and Subtracting Fractions
  12. Multiplying and Dividing Fractions
  13. Converting a Percentage into a Decimal
  14. Finding a Percentage of a Quantity
  15. Calculating Index Notation
  16. Ratios Involving Fractions
  17. Conversion of Units

     I've printed them out and stapled them into two skills per set.   I figure they could cover 2 skills a day.  I've kept the answers separate for me.  All good to go.  :o)

     I'll let you all know how it goes next fortnight after we've had a really good go at them.

     Who knows, we may actually do MORE.  Now that would be something good.


Thanks for visiting.

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried MEP, Deborah? It's what we use, and its free online. Maybe that will work for your boys?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeanne: Yes, I did look at MEP, and again even quite recently too, but I do not feel very comfortable with it. I had trouble doing the younger grades { I have tried MEP in the past } and high school just straight out scares me, since I feel like I have a lot on my plate with all the little girls. Additionally I also lack the time and motivation { I don't want to have to spend considerable time learning the upper grade math myself just to explain how it works with the boys } So maths has to be made as easy as I can get it.

    MEP is still in the back of my mind though - so anything is possible. :o)

    Jehane: Sure there is, in the very early grades. :o) Miss just turned 4 has been having the time of her life this past week learning how to skip count by 5's to 100. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I ♥ Teaching Textbooks. The best program I've every used for Highschool. Have you seen it ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chareen: I have heard of the name in passing but didn't really know anything about them. So I've just been out looking at them on the internet just now. Very interesting. :o)

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and leave me messages. Thanks so much.