Friday, November 30, 2012

Friday Update

I've had quite a few new followers join us - thank you!! so I thought that I would do a catch me up on who I am, who we are as a family, and what this blog is all about.  :o)

Me, myself, and I.   Who am I?
 
 
I am Deborah.  I'm a stay at home homeschooling mum with an addiction fondness for paper and school stuff.  :o)  I also like to make the odd early elementary resource. 
I live in Australia with my beautiful family.  My husband Adrian and I have been married for 19 years and we have 8 children + 2.

Here are my current 3 main full time students.  The ones I usually talk about and do show and tell for here on the blog.

We have Hannah 3y8m on the left, Chloe 7y in the middle, and Phebe 5 on the right.
Hannah does Kindergarten, Chloe is just about to embark on Grade 3, and Phebe is half way through Grade 1.
 
Here are my two grandsons who also live with us.  Kadafi is 3 and Letrell is almost 2.  Kadafi takes quite an interest when Hannah is doing her school work and often wants to join in. 

I am hoping to find photos of Master 15 and Master 16.  Here's to hoping.  :o)

Might be harder to do than I think. Mmmmm - where's the camera?

My 18 and 23 year olds are all grown up and have gone out into the big wide world.

* * * * * * *
 
Edited to add:
 
I feel so bad, I forgot about the baby.
 
This is Charlotte - she's one, and can walk now.  She also whines the word "mum" like a siamese cat constantly.  It is SUPER cute.  :o)  My baby is now a toddler.
 
 
 
* * * * * * *
 
I mostly keep this blog as a way of documenting some of the things that we do for homeschooling.  I like to do a fair amount of show and tell.  I also like to share worksheets and things that I make, and things of interest as they pop up.

This week we are technically still on holidays, BUT that doesn't stop us from doing the odd schooly thing.  No sir, it does not. 

Chloe read a couple of chapters from next years reader:


I also had her review her Days of the Week and Months of the Year.  Something that she really does need to work on, still.




Phebe tried out some number / maths work for me.





I also let her try out Singapore Maths 1a book 2 as well.


The Base 10 blocks got a good workout in our house this week.  Awesome happy that I got a set, they are heaps fun.  Well, the girls think they are fun.  :o)


Hannah started Learning to Read by Christian Light Education.  This is the 3rd time I will have used this course.  I absolutely LOVE it.  It truly has made my life so much easier.  Easier is much more fun.  :o)


Here she practiced writing / d / but I do not teach her to write the letter as they do.  I teach her to write the body FIRST - it helps to avoid inducing dyslexic tendencies.  Long story, short.



The letter / s / is a pretty good challenge letter.


I am also giving her practice pages from their black line master booklets which I also have.  That way we can "test" her out so to speak before she does her real run in the workbook.


And since they already introduce "sight" words here is how we looked at them this week.  I added some other words as well - since we also have our noses in Rod and Staff Reading 1 too.  Hannahs up to Lesson 8 in their reader already.  I think that I might need to go to Curriculum Junkies Anonymous.

Flash cards.
Making words.



Wow, a super long post from me today.  :o)

This week I'm linking up with:



and
 
 

I do hope that you will join us~!!

Thanks for visitng.  :o)
 




6 comments:

  1. It was so fun to meet your adorable family! I've been a follower for awhile, but never knew the "whole" story! You do such a great job, it ALMOST makes me wish I had younger kids in school again. My baby is 10 and in 4th grade. I always loved making things for school when the kids were younger.

    mommamindy.wordpress.com
    mommamindyprairieprimer.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second Ganeidaz Knot :) Tara.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel so bad, I forgot to add the baby. I've edited the post and added her now. :o)

    Thank you ladies. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful family! You do an amazing job!

    Stef

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your family is precious, and you are an amazing lady! Thanks so much for stopping by. I'm sorry I didn't have Fun Friday this week. I guess I have been a little busy, and a little discouraged that I have not had many to link up lately. Thanks so much for asking! It was good to hear from you!

    Kelly
    Teaching Fourth

    ReplyDelete

I really appreciate you taking the time to visit and leave me messages. Thanks so much.